U.S. Coast Guard Patrol Boats To Be Repowered W i t h Cat Engines
The U.S. Coast Guard has awarded Caterpillar a $5.7-million contract to repower 43 cutters with Cat 3412 marine engines and Twin Disc 518-M marine gears. Each 83- foot patrol boat uses two of the Cat engines, each rated at 750 hp. The contract also calls for one additional engine with gear to be used for instruction at the Coast Guard Training Center in Yorktwon, Va.
The Cat engines are expected to almost double the life until overhaul of the units being replaced, according to a company spokesman. Cat Dealer Holt Company of Louisiana will be the subcontractor for packaging the marine enigne, marine transmission and associated controls and shipping the modules to Coast Guard distribution points.
These cutters are steel-hulled with aluminum superstructures and are used for port security, search and rescue. The A Series was constrcuted in 1960-61, the C Series in 1961-67, and the D Series in 1970.
There are no discernible differences among the various series of Point Class vessels.
For free literature detailing Caterpillar engines, Circle 67 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from December 1989 issue
- IMO Delaval Names Three New Managers For Turbine Division page: 8
- Manitowoc Engineering Names Fox Executive VP And General Manager page: 9
- Ocean Survey Ship, USNS Tanner, Launched By Beth-Sparrows Point page: 9
- Avondale Industries Christens N a v y ' s Newest Fleet Oiler, USNS Pecos ( T - A O - 1 9 7) page: 10
- Emergency Rescue Beacon Introduced By Litton To Aid Mariners In Distress page: 10
- Nine M A N B & W Holeby GenSets Ordered For Three Containerships To Be Built At Odense Shipyard page: 11
- MarAd Repair Subsidy Proposal Opposed By U.S. Shipbuilders page: 11
- WORLD SHIPBUILDING A MARKET POISED FOR RAPID TAKE-OFF AND SUSTAINED GROWTH page: 12
- U.S. YARDS COULD COMPETE WITH EUROPE IN 1990s* page: 14
- A SHIPBUILDER'S PERSPECTIVE page: 16
- THE SHORT CRUISE MARKET IH EUROPE AHD HORTH AMERICA page: 17
- EUROPE 1992: WHAT LIES AHEAD FOR U.S. COMPAHIES? page: 18
- OUTSTANDING OCEANGOING SHIPS OF 1989 page: 20
- A STATUS REPORT ON NAVY SHIPBUILDING AND REPAIR page: 27
- $23-Million Navy Contract Awarded Avondale To Enlarge Auxiliary Oiler page: 33
- U.S. Coast Guard Patrol Boats To Be Repowered W i t h Cat Engines page: 34
- Fincantieri Launches 'Scarabeo 5' Semisubmersible Drilling Rig page: 45
- Autronica Receives Order For Radar-Based Level Gaging Systems page: 47
- Cummins-Powered 'Grand Romance' Begins Excursion Service On St. Johns River In Florida page: 48
- Australian Admiral Test-Starts New Sub Engine At Hedemora Diesel—Literature Available page: 48
- W a r t s i l a Diesel Repowers Seattle Fishing Vessels page: 49
- MSI/CAORF Trains How To Avoid Ship Accidents Before They Happen page: 49
- Workboats Northwest Delivers Versatile 58-Foot Fishing Vessel page: 49